The best time to learn about what’s covered in a basic auto insurance policy is before you have a claim. We’ve gathered the answers to the most common “Am I covered if…” questions about your car insurance policy to help you minimize any surprises.

If a friend drives my car, is he or she covered by my policy?

Since most insurance coverage is connected directly to the car, if someone else borrows your car occasionally, he or she should be covered under your policy. Yet, your premium is based on both your vehicle and the “primary” driver of that car—you. If someone else starts driving your car more than you do, contact us to have them added to your policy to avoid coverage complications.

If I borrow a friend’s car and have an accident, who pays?

When you borrow someone else’s car and are involved in an accident, his or her insurance will kick in first. However, beware of driving someone’s car if he or she has little or no insurance, as your policy could be triggered once their limits are exhausted.

My golf clubs were stolen from my vehicle. Am I covered?

Your homeowners insurance policy provides coverage for personal property, regardless of where you are. However, if your golf clubs are old, consider buying a replacement cost endorsement for your personal property. This way you will get what it costs to replace the golf clubs, less the applicable deductible.

My children have left home for college. Do I still have to include them on my policy?

Yes, because when your college students come home to visit, they will have access to the family car. You may be eligible for reduced premiums if the college is more than a certain distance (100 miles, for example) from your home. Check with us on specifics.

Now let’s say they borrow a friend’s car when they are at school and get into an accident. If the friend doesn’t have coverage or adequate limits, as long as your student is listed on your policy, your insurance would step in and provide coverage.

I bought a new car. Do I have coverage when I drive off the lot?

Most insurance companies provide automatic coverage for new purchases equal to the broadest coverage you have on your current or other cars. In other words, if you already have a car insurance policy in effect and you purchase a new vehicle, that policy will cover you for up to 4 days. Read more about this here.

Should I buy rental car insurance?

In many cases, your personal auto policy extends a variety of insurance protections to cars you rent on a short-term basis in the U.S. and Canada. BUT, there could be potentially significant limitations to that insurance protection, such as loss of use or the diminished value of the rental car. We always recommend customers buy the insurance from the rental car company. Read more about this here. 

An uninsured driver totaled my car! Who pays?

Your collision coverage or your uninsured motorist property damage coverage pays, if you bought it. Either way, you’ll have to pay a deductible.

I caused an accident and am being sued by the other driver. Am I covered?

Yes. The liability portion of your insurance policy guarantees your insurance company will defend a claim or lawsuit on your behalf, up to your policy’s limits of liability.

Does rental reimbursement provide coverage if I take my car to a shop for mechanical repairs?

No. Rental reimbursement is for cars that are being repaired as a result of accidents or other insured damages (storm damage, etc.).

How can I be sure I have the right coverage?

Contact us! Having the right vehicle coverage, policy limits and deductibles in place is an important part of financial planning. Call us today to learn more about how we can help you get the comprehensive automobile coverage you need to minimize any unwanted surprises!