Falls are among the most common causes of serious injury and even death in the workplace. When working at heights, one small mistake could turn a routine work task into a casualty. Keep the following do’s and don’ts in mind when working at heights:
- Make sure you can safely get to and from any area that requires you to work from a height.
- Wear personal protective equipment and personal fall arrest equipment as required for the job.
- Make sure your ladder and any other equipment needed is strong enough for the job and checked regularly.
- Know what to do in case of an emergency or need to evacuate so you can do so safely.
- Don’t overload your ladder. Check the label on the ladder to make sure it is capable of supporting both you and your equipment before using it.
- When on a ladder, don’t overreach.
- Never rest a ladder against unstable or weak surfaces.
- Don’t use ladders to increase the working height of a scaffold.
- If you notice anything that could pose as a potential workplace hazard, please report it to your manager immediately so it can be addressed promptly.
© 2019 Zywave, Inc.